Saturday 13 February 2016

Herb Infusion Confusion

We cook most of our food from scratch.  I do, sometimes, use Knorr Stock Pots (not the cubes, they are too salty).

Some time ago I had bought some of the Knorr "Herb" pots.  It was a long time before I actually used one,  I popped it into a bolognese.  It looked like chopped herbs in something a bit glutenous.  The taste of the bolognese was fine,  somewhat sweeter than normal, I assume that was something to do with the Knorr Herb pot.

Move forward a few months.  Last night I decided to have a simple pasta and tomato sauce supper.   I used some of our own passata and, because I was hungry and in a hurry, I added some cornflour to thicken it up a bit to a suitable pasta sauce consistency.    I thought I'd pop in half a Knorr Herb pot for a bit of herby flavouring.

I opened (what I thought was) the box containing Knorr Herbs.  I opened one of the little pots, noticed that it didn't look quite the same as I remembered, and attempted to put half in my sauce.  The whole lot fell in.

As I stirred, I noticed that it was taking a while to dissolve.  In fact, quite a long time. I realised that something was amiss, so I checked the cupboard to find I'd used something called "Knorr Herb Infusion Stock Pot".

That must be the same sort of thing, surely?  The original item, just rebranded a bit?
Our Knorr Herb Infusion Pot delivers a balanced blend of thyme, bay leaf and parsley – all in a little pot of stock that has been reduced down to capture the intensity of the herbs. Its excellent fresh-herb character will complement and enhance whatever you’re cooking – from casseroles and risottos to sauces and stews. Buy Knorr Stock Pots in a 4-pot pack or 8-pot pack.
  • No artificial preservatives
  • No artificial colours
  • Suitable for vegetarians
  • No artificial flavour enhancers
  • No added MSG



That sounded OK. How bad could it be?

It was....not good.  I was very hungry so I still ate it all, but it wasn't very enjoyable.

What I had used before, and what probably would have worked, is this one
With its combination of thyme, oregano, rosemary and basil, this versatile pot is a store cupboard essential and will help ensure your herby flavours are perfectly balanced. Use to complement your cottage pie and perfect your pasta. 
  • No artificial flavour enhancers
  • Not artificial colours
  • No artificial preservatives
  • Suitable for vegetarians

There you go.

I imagine the stock pot would have worked if I was making a herby stew, or a herby gravy.

I'll be more careful next time.

Followers