I realised that I might be able to check some parts (like the side seams and the waist) without unpicking, so I decided to do that first.
When I laid the fabric on the pattern, it was miles out. WTF?!? Had I accidentally cut all fronts or something? No, I hadn't. I was sure of it. I was reasonably sure of it.
How on earth had I cut it so wrong.
And then I saw what I had done.
What an unbelievably stupid mistake.
I hadn't put any seam allowance on my master pattern.
If you don't sew, then you probably don't really understand what sort of stupid this stupid is.
It's like....making a cheese sauce and forgetting the cheese. It's like pouring a pint into a half pint glass. It's like wondering why your DVD isn't playing, when it turns out you've been pressing the buttons on the wrong remote control.
What a dopey dopey dopey thing to do.
What a waste of fabric.
But at least it explains it.
I'm going to add my seam allowances now, and then try again.
I bet you can't wait to see how this turns out!