Friday 1 April 2011

Flavoured butter

Today I'm making garlic butter and lemon butter. 


When I first started making these, I used to pot them in small Lock and Lock containers.  Then I realised I'd be better off making them in small pieces, and I could get how ever many I needed out of the freezer, when I needed them.


After a number of experiments, I realised that using silicon ice cube moulds was the way forward.  Easy to fill, easy to freeze, and then I pop the frozen butters out into an airtight bag when frozen.  Then I just pull out a couple of lumps whenever I need them.


As well as my standard hearts tray, I also have a set of Winnie the Pooh sillicon ice cube trays, thanks to my lovely Auntie J.   So today my garlic butter is in hearts, Pooh Bear, Piglet,  and Tigger  heads and Eeyore shapes.  



I haven't tried lemon butter before, thought it would be great with fish and chicken. I used the zest and most of the juice of 1 lemon to a small amount of unsalted butter. It's a bit garlicky, as I really didn't have the energy to wash the beater and bowl of the garlic butter first.   I decided to pipe this onto a tray, so that it would be a different shape to (and therefore easily distinguishable from) the garlic butters.



Followers