Thursday 25 March 2010

Butter

We've only just finished the butter I made back in January  (when the wholesaler was selling off nearly-out-of-date cream at a bargain price)- in fact, I'm about to spread the last of it on a home made currant bun.  So, yesterday, I trundled off to Costco to buy a load of cream to make some more.  I ony bought 5 litres this time.

I've just finished potting up and labelling.  I've made just over 6.5 pounds (I know it's odd mixing my measuring systems;  the cream is sold by the litre,   and I weigh the finished buttwr in imperial because I add 1 teaspoon of salt per pound of butter.     I also had just under 2 litres of buttermilk. I kept back 1.1 litres (as much as my Lock N Lock fridge jug holds), and the rest went down the drain. I know its a waste, but I just won't use that much.
The butter is now stacked in the fridge and, when it is suitably chilled, I'll transfer most of it to the freezer.





Followers