Friday 6 August 2010

Pumpkin Marmalade

Each year for the past few years I have made one batch of Pumpkin Marmalade.  The first time I made it, it was a desperate attempt to use up a mountain of Butternut Squashes. It came out rather well, much to my surprise.  In fact, it was so delicious, I persuaded our friends S&K to try some.  K really, really liked it.
So, the next year I decided to try again. Except I couldn't find The Recipe.  I found lots of Recipes for Pumpkin marmalade, but none of them seemed quite right. I made some using the nearest recipe I could find,  and it was OK. (And was declared "quite nice" by K.  So, not quite right then.

The next year, I managed to erm...caramelise.... the squash.  It had been taking quite a long time to reduce to marmalade consistency, and I got bored and left it alone for a bit.  This was declared as "lovely".


This year, I tried again. We didn't grow Butternuts this year, DH planted some special squashes that are specifically designed to be jammed. 

I did vaguely remember that it took a bit longer than the recipe said to reduce down. The recipe said 30 minutes.  it's been 3 hours now.  I've only caramelised a bit, and I managed to stir it in so it wasn't obvious.


I hope it'll taste OK as we are going to have a mountain of these squashes.

Followers