Tuesday 25 March 2008

Wheezing: updated

On Sunday night I thought I could Scarlett was wheezing a little bit.

On Monday afternoon, I heard it again. She's bright eyed, eating well, very chirpy; but I googled "wheezing chicken" and didn't like the answers. Stories of bright, happy chooks with a little wheezing, suddenly going down hill and dying. Posts and posts on various expert forums saying that respiratoiry problems in hens get serious (for the hen) very quickly.

So today I phoned to get an appointment at the Vet. And I would choose today, when we have the rehearsals for the State Visit and the roads all around the Vet (and into Windsor) are closed.

We think we've found a route where we can get relatively close and then walk the rest of the way. On the positive side, at least its only the rehearsal. I would imagine that carrying Scarlett in a box through the crowds during the Procession proper would result in a heart attack for her!

I'll update this post later, when I get back.

UPDATED
Hmm. Well, not sure the trip to the Vet was that helpful. Her breathing was a little fast, chickens are difficult to diagnose, no noise in her upper respiratory tract etc etc. Anyway, we ended up with some Baytril (an antibiotic) to dose all three chickens.


Followers