Friday 8 May 2020

VE Day Anniversary 2020

I thought about making bunting, but couldn't summon up the enthusiasm.   I have a box with bunting and flags in, from the Golden Jubilee, re-used for various other royal celebrations.

I left it to this morning to go and look for the box in the loft,. Of course I couldn't find it.

Instead, I've decorated our house with bunting from DH's 60th birthday. minus the "Happy Birthday" bits.    I almost didn't put it up.  As I unwrapped each bag,  I was amazed at how beautifully I'd folded, pressed and wrapped it.  I'd even pinned "front" to the front of each run (the bunting is double sided).

I nearly put it away, but the weather was fine, so I hung it out.  I put some Toy Story bunting up across the windows of a neighbour who is shielding (after asking, I hasten to add).

 
I had made two loaves in Pullman pans yesterday, so I made finger sandwiches.  I cut the crusts off (such wasteage, of course, would not have happened on VE day!) and cut them into two perfect finger sandwiches. Except when I turned them on their sides I realised that I'd cut the bread too thickly.  So,  I quartered them instead, and didn't put them on their sides.     DH and I hoovered up the crusts and the off-cuts of fillings.

We spent a pleasant hour on sitting on chairs on the driveway, having our tea and sadwiches, chatting to our next door neighbour (more than 2 metres apart).

I learned a lot about Fortnite from one of the children.

Quite a lot of the street turned out.  Some, like us, were in their front gardens;  some were on the pavement;  the people in the flats had something in the communal gardens behind the flats.

We were so lucky with the weather.








Followers