Tuesday 5 May 2020

Pullman

A couple of years ago I bought some pullman loaf tins. A pullman is a loaf tin wich has a lid,  and produces very squared loaves.

We had previously bought a Tefal Snackmaker  and a selection of plates to use with it, and one of the plates that came with it was for toasted sandwiches.   It worked OK, but I thought a pullman would produce the perfect sized slices.

The pullman tins arrived,    I didn't use them straightaway,  we were using the Tefal for waffles etc and the urge for toasties had passed,  and we forgot all about it.

I want to make some lovely finger sandwiches for Friday.     We're going to sit in the front garden in the afternoon and have a cream tea (well, sandwiches anyway),  and I thought how much easier - and less wasteful - it would be to make a pullman shaped loaf.  I could trim the crusts, and then cut each sandwich in half, making the perfect finger sandwich.

So I dug out the tin,  and made a trial loaf today.   My brother had given me some Cotswold Crunch flour to try,  and it was very pleasant.  Although it doesn't look it, it's a white flour. It has malt added which gives it an orangey brown colour and a lovely smell,  and it has wheatflakes added to give it some crunch.   I added caraway seeds, because bread with caraway is just wonderful.   My brother had tried it with caraway and recommended it highly. 

I've just tried a slice.  Heaven!

Followers