Sunday 10 May 2020

Mutton neck

No,  not a comment on my neck.

I had a mutton neck fillet in the freezer, which had a sell by date of July 2016.  I decided to defrost it and cook it today...not because it was so out of date,  but because it was an odd shape and was taking up more space than it should!

I struggled to find a pressure cooker recipe for a roast mutton type dish.    I could see Moroccan recipes,   curries,  and Irish stew types.

In the end I decided to do something along the lines of Cathy Phipps roast chicken recipe.

I put some ground nut oil (because its flavourless) and some butter on to saute.  Then I browned the neck all over,  which didn't take long.  Because sheep is a relatively fatty meat,  imported out mist if the fat. I lifted out the meat and deglazed the pan with lamb stock (made with a Knorr lamb cube).

 I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper and put but in the stock.  I added a little sprig of rosemary,  a bay leaf, and some dried oregano.  I cooked for 30 minutes.

When cooked I let the pressure release naturally (NPR) and then moved the mutton on to a board. I put some cornflour in the stock to thicken it  sauteed on high and stirred.

I served with roast potatoes, roast parsnips and yorkshire puddings.  I meant to cook some green veg but I didn't.

It was lovely.  I'll be buying some more as soon as I've made room in the freezer. 





Followers