Thursday 14 May 2020

Partial win

It was 6.15 this morning before the noise started.

DH woke me up at 6 telling me that it was all quiet and all the doors had opened etc. He didn't mean to wake me up.  He got up, I was dozing and asked if he was OK, and he got chatty.

A few minutes later, a deep and horrible wailing started.  I pretended to be asleep for a few minutes,  but DH did the same and won the game.    I got up.

Outside, as I strode across the cold, wet, grass,  no one was making a noise.    As I approached the Run, intent on finding Violet and putting her in the Brown Box,  my mind was processing the voice I'd heard.  I wasn't sure it was Violet.

Violet started to whinge as I unlocked the run door, and that confirmed for me that it wasn't her.  I ran through the hen voice catalogue in my mind and realised it was Annie,  in the other run.   

Annie looked at me like butter wouldn't melt in her beak.   I didn't have anywhere to shut her in;  There is a spare brown box nest box under their cube,  but it doesn't have a door.  I'd have to catch her, and then get her in the other coop to shut her in one of the boxes there.

I couldn't face it.   Catching hens in the Evacuee run is hard work, because there is a huge Jostaberry bush that shares their run.  Great for them,  but difficult to negotiate even at a walk.

I let everyone out instead,  which I realise was a mistake.

It was a mistake because tomorrow they will be expecting to be let out into the garden at 6.15am.

It was a mistake because I can't leave them unattended at that time,  it's a good time for foxes.

It was a mistake because Annie, who is a quick learner,  will assume that being gobby gets Mummy to come and let her out.

I can't go back to bed anway because I have Pilates at 9. If I get back in bed  I'll lie awake worrying about foxes until about 7.30, then start to doze, and then feel like c**p when I have to get up in time to get ready.

I've fed the cats.  I've done my banking.  I've read my emails.

And now I'm here.

Followers