Tuesday 5 January 2021

Kimchi, II

Well, the kimchi is fermenting in its new container.

It arrived a couple of days ago.  My vegetables arrived in yesterday's supermsrket delivery,  so I started the kimchi then.

The inner "plate" thing is fantastic.

The vegetables were in brine overnight.    This afternoon I drained the brine (reserving it), and made a spice mix from ginger, garlic, turmeric and some korean pepper (which I'm a bit concerned about.  I thought it would be koreach chili,  but it looks like it might be red pepper.  My body realli really doesn't like red pepper).      

I tasted some of the brined vegetables, and it was already rather good.    I put gloves on, and massaged the paste over the vegetables.  My recipe book didn't quite say to do this,  but I remember seeing Kimchi being made once, and it was definitely a hands on thing.

I put some of the brine back,  put the plate on, and pushed it down as far as it would go.

Now I just have to wait for it to ferment.  I'm going to leave it out of the fridge for a coupl of days, then put it in the fridge.  

I'm wondering if I should habve got a bigger container, and increased the amount I make.

Maybe next time.  Let's see how this goes, first.


Followers