Tuesday 26 January 2021

Cat Bed

Last night I attended a Zoom Sewcial, along with other members of Baby Lock UK Owners Facebook group, learning how to make a triangular knick knack bowl on my overlocker.  

I needed directional fabric, and out of the stash came one of the first pieces of fabric I ever bought. I folded the remainder of the fabric up this morning,  and thought that it would make a sweet duvet cover for my cats Ikea bed.   I've been meaning to make another one for years.    

My overlocker was right there, on the kitchen table, waiting to go back upstairs.     I decided to just "run one up".   If nothing else, t would make my husband's eyes roll.

I retrieved the old duvet from the corner of the guest bedroom, cut out a piece to fit my cats' Ikea cat bed,  then cut out another piece because the first one looked a bit small. 

The cats thought it was Christmas.  The duvet was opened out on the kitchen floor, and they were chasing each other and leaping on it and skidding. It kept me amused while I snipped and sewed.

Once I was happy with the size of yhe duvet, I overlocked the edges (and the now raw edges on the donor duvet).   

Then I made a duvet cover to fit, which was really quick and easy on a small thing like this.  i even pressed everything, which made me chuckle.   I  finished it with a couple of kamsnaps.  

It looked quite good. I realised that the bed needed a pillow to make it look like a proper bed.  I cut the failed piece to an approximate size,  and then sewed a pillowcase to fit.

I really like it.  It looks a lot better made up than it did in my stash, and I'm a little bit envious. 

I've just had word that my new coverstitch machine is due to arrive tomorrow!  That's 2 weeks ahead of the most recent expected date!  

I need to go and do some clearing up now.  Dishwasher repair man is due tomorrow.

Total crafty things this year: 10  (Sewing based makes: 7;   learning activities: 2;  Non sewing based craft makes: 1. )

 


Followers