Sunday 3 January 2021

Repurposed duvet

I was now ready to tackle the old wool duvet.   

I had originally planned to slice off the top and bottom to
(a) get it down to King Size, and
(b) neaten up the worn edges

The whole plan had to be rethought when I realised that it had already shrunk considerably.  The ends really needed dealing with.  The problem is that the wool was sewn in,  so it wasn't possible to just trim off the old fabric and sew on some new.    I also had experience from the pillow, so I knew that just sewing it was not going to work.

 I decided to make some "caps" to cover the two ends.    I had the bright idea of using an old duvet cover, as that would already have two sides sewn.    

That turned out to not be such a timesaver.   I had to fart around with getting it the right width, which meant I had to add some fabric.  I'd also picked a duvet wihich had patchwork on one side, and a contrasting back.   The error of judgement became apparent later.

After a lot of farting about, inclding coverstitching the hems, attempting to match the patchwork, blah blah,  I had two caps.

I now had to fix them to the duvet.

It was late on the 2nd January,  and I decided that this was a suitable point to stop,

...

Today I wanted to get it finished.  I have enough UFOs (UnFinished Objects), and I really want to get the gues room/sewing room  cleared to the point of it being useable as both again.

I considered sewing the caps on.  I considered trying the quilting stitches on my sewing machine.

I decided to use fusible webbing instead- Wundaweb to you and me.    Even that was a challenge! 

I had the quilt on the kitcgen table,  on a small collapsible ironing board.   I used miles of the stuff.

It's done now.

It's not a disaster.  It's not as great as I'd intended,  my enthusiasm waned a little, fairly early on.

But, it's OK.

The bed is ready to be made, I'm just waiting for the linen to dry.

I'm taking this as my 3rd project of the month.


Followers