Sunday 3 January 2021

Foot muff, continued

Well, that ended up a bit more involved than I expected.

The wool pillow I was using had 4 sections. (It's like a mini dovet in 4 sections that are folded over to make a pillow).   I'd ecpected to just cut it in half, so two sections,.  Make a slip cover, like an Oxford pillow case,  put poppers down the Oxford bit, and fold it.

Except.

Except when we tried it - before cutting- we agreed that it would be better being wider.   So I ended up cutting it in half one way, and then resewing it so it was wider.   It was much harder to sew than I expected.  I ended up having to cut the ends off to remove the old seam,  I had to pul out some wool as it was too thick to sew/overlock through,  and then to overlock the edges together.      I took the time to use matching thread, so it looks quite good.

I then had to cut down a brushed cotton sheet to make the, frankly enormous, cover.  And I had to use more of the sheet to make the Oxford trim.   I put matching thread in my Coverstitch machine so I could make beautiful hems before sewing.  I then used the same thread in my Overlocker, and created the cover. Then I put in one Kam snap on each side, so DH could test it for depth.

He really liked it!

On reflection, it would have been easier to use some quilt batting, wool or otherwise, instead of the wool pillow.   But, I suppose that wouldn't have been so easy for him to slip his feet into, and it might have moved around at night.

1st January, 1st project of the year done!

    

Followers