Sunday 1 February 2009

First steps in freedom

Came back from dropping DH at the pub and, although windy and still freezing cold, the sky was beautiful clear blue and the sun was shining. I had about an hour before I needed to go out again, so I decided to let the Newbies out into the garden.

I started by putting a lettuce in the Oldies run, to keep them occupied. Then I let the Newbies out, and left the "gate" open in the fencing. They were soon through the gate, and exploring around the Oldies run. The Oldies suddenly spotted that the Newbies were out, and lined up along the edge of their Run, posturing. The Newbies seemed oblivious to this, and ambled around pecking here, pecking there.

I had to pop out at one pint as I lost sight of them; I coul tell where they probably were by the direction of the stares from the Oldies. The Newbies were exploring the shrubs we have in the middle of the garden.

I don't really want to make them take turns at free ranging like this, but I don't have enought netting to provide two completely safe areas. Still, it will only be for a few days.


Followers