Thursday 6 August 2009

Nervewracking

It's been very hard watching this Chick.

Because this is the first time I've seen one hatch live, even thought I know what the book says about it, it's hard to watch.

Poor little Chick is exhausted, and is trying to stand and walk. It's all so much effort, he stumbles and falls on the other eggs. I'm sure this is Nature's way of telling the other eggs its time to hatch. He's cheeping continuously, and I feel very sad that he doesn't have a mother hen there to reassure and encourage him. He's drying out, slowly, and we can't do anything with or for him until he's completely dry.

I know he doesn't need food, the egg sac will keep him nourished for 24 hours.

I know it's normal for him to keep falling over.

I know it's normal for him to be wet and looking so weak.

But it's hard to watch. I wish Number 2 would get on with hatching!

And I hope the other eggs are OK.

Followers