Tuesday 11 August 2009

Lemon (and Lavender) Marmalade

When we were in Cornwall the other week, I bought a jar of "Lemon & Lavender Marmalade". I didn't like it when I tried it, but I left it in the fridge. Feeling the need for marmalade one day, I tried it again, and I really liked it.

As I got to the bottom of the jar I realised that it wouldn't be easy to get any more, so I decided to try making it. My excellent Margeurite Patten Jam book had a recipe for Lemon Marmalade, so I decided to use that and just put some lavender in at the soaking stage.

According to the original jar, it was 49% Lemon, 49% sugar and 2% lavender. Hmmm. Don't think so - at least, it cannot be quite what it seems. For a start, what about the water? And I can't believe that you'd get a good set/preserve with a 50/50 split of fruit and sugar. And 2% lavender is quite a lot of lavender.

Anyway. I picked some lavender and put it in with the pips in a little muslin bag while the peel soaked overnight, and while I simmered it this morning.

I've now made the marmalade, and I think I should probably have used more lavender. I can't see me needing to make another batch for a year or so (the recipe made nearly 4 pounds), so I've had to make a note in the recipe book.

Hope it tastes OK. I'll find out tomorrow morning.



Followers