Monday 29 May 2023

Run free


DH started putting up the new run today.  

He laid out the first side, and then we discussed exactly how this was going to fit to the run over the fruit cage and where the door should be. It was a calm discussion.

We followed this with a livelier discussion about how big the other dimension should be.   I gave in.

Later still, we had a discussion about the end where the cubes will attach.  This was actually a helpful discussion, and the plan is to remove the 1m cube run from the cube, replacing it with a narrow collar so it can dock with the walk in run.

This meant that the Cubes would be moving 1m inwards, with the Girls therefore losing  two 1x1m bits of run.  I suggested lengthening the side by 1 panel to compensate.   DH considered it, but pointed out that it would be awkward because the corner would make it difficult to pass by the quince tree.

He was right.

I didn't really want to lose the space, so I asked if it might be possible to "castellate" the corners at each end, and that looks like it will work.    We are taking the run of the Cube so we can check it all works.  

This would be fab for me as it means I could access the ladder and the coop door, which I've only been able to do , very awkwardly, from side panels before.   If it works, this alone will make replacing the run worthwhile.

With no large run, we've been letting the two groups of girls have the garden to free range in.  There have been a few confrontations, and I've stepped in because it always ends up with multiple Oldies attacking a single Newbie.

For the last week, Fay has been spending time in both camps.  She's laying her eggs in the Newbie's cube.    It worked out quite well, as looked like it helped the Newbies to see a face they knew when the groups were out free ranging. 

I've put out a washing up bowl (which has never been used for that, of course) with some cool water and some frozen peas in.   It's a good way to get hot hens to have an extra drink.       Everyone had plenty,  but it' too soon to have both groups eating at the same time.

I noticed that Fay has been asserting herself within the Oldie group, and I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing The Oldies are a bit fractious with each other, and there was some worrying purple tinge on Astrid's enormous comb this morning.  It had gone back to red later in the morning, but I need to keep an eye on her.

Violent has been broody all this time, but she's come off the nest a couple of times in the last few days to cause trouble.

I really want to trim the feathers which are obscuring Olga's (the matriarch of the Newbies) eyesight.  I'm a bit concerned that I may make matters worse.


 


Followers