Monday 1 May 2023

Racket

For the last few days, the Girls have been kicking off at Stupid o'clock.

We are down to 7 girls.  6 of them sleep in 1 cube, whilst the oldest, Poppy, sleeps on her own in the other.  She seems to like it that way and I'm not surprised. 

I try to set the Cubes so they open at the same time.   If Poppy's Cube opens first, the occupants of the other  Cube go berserk.

For the last few days, the 6 girls are going nuts anyway.  Something sets them off (it's not a fox, we've checked the cameras).  It's probably one of them starts whingeing, then they all join in,  and none of them stop bickering.

I've gradually moved the opening time on the Cube earlier and earlier, trying to pre-empt it.  Yesterday morning it was set to 6am,  but all that happened was they tumbled out of the Cube and then started whingeing in the Run (which is then even louder).

This morning it was set to a ridiculous 5.15am, in an attempt to beat them. 

At 5.45am, they all started, and I got up (switching off my CPAp and taking off my mask) to look out of the window to see if I could see anything going on.  It looked like only 1 girl was in the Run,. Thinking the autodoor may have failed to open, I got my dressing gown on, hobbled downstairs, foiund the keys to the door, opened the door and  stepped out into the garden.    They were all out in the  Run, and were strategically placed to make as much noise as possible.

Fay was standing on one of the garden chairs in the run, in full Cockerel mode.  Neck extended, head back.  I hissed at them to be quiet, and they all careered towards the door, hoping to be let out.  I refrained.

It was very tempting, but it was only 5.47am.  Perfect fox time.

I went back in, put my CPAP mask back on, went back to bed, and lay there listening to them complaining (less noisily) for the next couple of hours.

It made me question whether we  are doing the right thing on Tuesday..... but it's a bit late now.



I hesitated, but then went ahead and WhatsApped that photo to Miss Teen.  Miss Tween would have been really excited, would have guessed immediately,  and would be demanding more info.   

Miss Teen hasn't responded at all :rollseyes:  

I'm not surprised.   Miss Tween  noticed every tiny change in our house, and would have noticed the 2 incubator boxes stacked n the dining room table for the last couple of weeks the moment she entered the house.  She would have demanded to know what we're doing with them (and would have been sad to her they were sold).    Miss Teen didn't even register them.

I know it's a normal process of growing up, but the passing of the era saddens me.


Followers