Thursday 31 December 2020

Kimchi

My last lot of Kimchi is coming to its end.  It's a little salty, so I decided to try a different recipe for my next lot.

I was organised enough to draw water from the tap and leave, covered owth a food tent,  so that the metals could disperse.  We have filtered water, but I wonder if the filter takes too much out of the water.  The plants do better on unfiltered water.

Then I made brine,  and then I added my mountain of chopped chinese leaft,  spring cabbage, carrots, mooli and spring onion.  I put a plate in the bowk, and out weights on the plate,  and left it overnight.

Stupid.

When I came down, of course the brine had crept up over the plate and the weights were partially submerged.   They were just cast iron weights for a balance scale.    I looked at the kimchi, anbd looked at the weights.   I couldn't risk it.  I hadn't thought to sterilise them, so I've no idea what might be on them.  I just hadn't considered at all that the brine would come in contact with them. Of course I shold have done,  but I didn't.

Because Kimchi is a fermented product, I didn't want to risk fermenting anything undesirable.  I binned it all.

I'm not going out shopping, I have a delivery on Monday so I'll try again then.

In the meantime, I "gave in" and bought a Kimchi tub from Amazon.  I'd been waiting months for the Crazy Korean version to come back into stock, but I decided to order some other version instead.  I'm not particularly happy about fermenting in plastic,  but the info said it was BPA and lead free so I'll try it.

The reason I'm interested in this is because it has a 'plate' which seals the inside top totally, and which can be pushed down as you eat your way through the Kimchi.

I got the small size.

 


Followers