Tuesday 15 September 2020

Winter. Summer.

The upstairs upheaval continues, as I now need new shelving to store some of the stuff that no longer fits anywhere else.  Piles and piles of DVDs, music books,  books,  bits...

I managed to buy yet another used set of Really Useful Drawers, and I think I should win an award for how much drawer based storage I'm managing to get under that mahoosive desk. 

The end is in sight, but it's been in sight for ages and doesn't appear to have got any closer, despite efforts from both of us.  It's because every move requires something else to be done first.  My DB dropped some adjustable shelving struts and shelf supports off yesterday (I'm giving him some unicorn fabric in exchange).  I hate them, but there is one wall where only that sort of shelving will do.  And it's hidden, so that's OK.

I've cleared out some stuff, some in the bin, some in a pile to be donated or sold, and some has been properly stored in the loft.  The 2 extra filing cabinet drawers up there are fantastic, and I'm seriously wondering about getting more filing cabinets up there in place of some of tthe IKEA shelving.  I haven't mentioned that little idea to DH yet.   One thing at a time.

I can't actually use the desk yet, as that currently has piles of reams of paper on (waiting for the adjustable shelving) and piles of DVD (wiating for the fixed shelving).

Downstairs, I continued my clearout after the previous post, and cleared out quite a lot.  I sold a little,  gave a lot away, binned a small amount.  I'm in danger of having a bit of space to put something so I've walked away to give me time to think about how to utilise the space.  I'm not bringing anything else in.

Weatherwise, it was so cold the other day and night that I brought the log basket in from the shed and filled it with logs ready to light a fire.   Isobelle, our old arthritic cat,  curled up in front of the stove in anticipation.  I didn't light it, and it t wasn't as cold the next day.    I also thought about putting the winter duvet cover on, which is a bit more of an effort than you might think.

And now we have 33 degree heat!  Where did that come from?

 Of course I didn't finish doing the blinds aftert the last hot spell. I was so sure that we had seen the last of the awful hot weather, that I put them in my "do later" pile.

On the plus side, I had finished the blinds for the french windows in the living room, and I've just stuck them up. They work really well! despite me putting them the left on the right (the glass on the two sides are very slightly different widths).    The room, which is south facing at that end.  is now protected from the glare of the sun, but the blinds don't trap the heat behind them so it's not too stuffy..

The awning over the south facing kitchen window is also out, and that's helping with the kitchen.

I'd get on and finish the bedroom blinds, but I can't get to my sewing machines.

Well, time to get back to it.

 



Followers