Monday 7 September 2020

Cabinet reshuffle

Oh god, what a painful few hours!

DH got the two drawer metal filing cabinet down from the loft, with the help of a pulley system we'd rigged up years ago when he wanted to get a lathe up there.  Getting the four drawer up wasmore of a challenge and involved butchers hooks being reshaped,  a loit of grunting and shifting,  and a fair bit of eye rolling from both of us as we poohpoohed each others suggestions.

But that isn't the painful part.

I spent...I don't know how long... crouched in a stress position on the hard loft floor, trying to put those bl**dy CDs back in the filing cabinet.     They hadn't been in alphabetical order when I extracted them.  I realised this part way through the extraction process and started putting them in alpha order from then.  But the first box, and part of the second, were not in alpha order.

Eventually, I got them all in, and I was susprised that I managed to get them all in one drawer instead of 1 and a half.  I'd taken out some video cds and some cd-is,    but not that many.  However, the old cabinet had been a Vickers Trimline so I assumed the Trim meant it was a bit smaller somehow. 

I got together bits that were coming downstairs, and went to pick up the dividers that had been plonked on a neearby table (we have all sorts of stuff up there).   

And then I saw the last box of CDs.

And of course it was an unsorted one.

I contemplated leaving it, or chucking the CDs away.  But I knew it would only bite me on the b*m, so I decided to just knuckle down - or squat back down - and do it.

It was painful.  Literally.   I was scraping my knuckles trying to shuffle the CDs along.  I had to take a wodge out and put them in another drawer,  and then they kept falling over because the filing cabinet has an excellent anti tilt mechanism (only one drawer can be open at once).   SO I took a huge amount out and put them in the second drawer,   and then started shuffling.

It took several more handfuls to create the necessary space, and then to move things around.    I had a whole load of spoken word CDs, and I just stuffed these in the ends to stop the rest of them from falling over.

Eventually, it was done.  It's a loose alpha order.   The A-Z is (mostly) correct,  but the second letters are a bit haphazard.  Eric Clapton ended up next to Cream,  for example. I didn't care about that particular one  because they are more or less the same thing.   Others were a but more erratic, but  I don't care.  I really don't care.  I really don't care.

I can't start filing downstairs because we need to put something under the cabinets first.  

I spent some time trying to locate some metal plates to go in the upstairs filing cabinet to help separate the drawer.   I have plenty for the Bisley cabinet now in the loft and I was sensible enough to make sure the second 2 drawer cabinet I bought was also a Bisley so can use them.    I realise now that I should just habbe ought a 3rd Bisley and got rid of the Vickers,  but it has sentimental value.    

I can't believe i'm letting my life be run by filing.   The sooner the room is sorted, the better.

On the plus side, my velvet pegs arrived.   I threaded 32 of them onto a denuded trouser hanger,  and went upstairs to get the zips.  Except I literally could not get to them.  I sighed and lobbed the hanger on to the bed.

My legs - specifically my glutes - were aching like mad from the stress position.    I walked to the Chemi

st to collect a prescription, but that didn't help.   I did some Pilates stretches. that did a bit.   I've got a Pilates class at 7pm. so hopefully that will help.

On the other plus side, DH bottled and water bathed 16 bottles of apple juice!   He used the big pasteuriser with the sensor control from the Codlo (sous vide) for the bug bottles, and we used the sous vide function on the large Instant POt for the small (250ml) bottles.   This meant that everything could be done at the same time, so that was excellent.

And I didn't have to do it :-)



 

Followers