Sunday 6 September 2020

Juicy

DH has been busy preserving tomatoes.  He also has 2x12 litres of apple wine on the go,  and today he decided to do something with a load more apples.  

After a lot of debate, we agreed on apple juice.      We've just processed I don't know ohow many kilos of apples.  So many that it would have been worth getting the Shark mill down from the loft to scrat them.  We used out Hurom slowjuicer,  and now we have many litres of juice sitting in bowls in the fridge, waiting to be strained, bottled, and pasteurised.

The pulp from the juicer was quite dry - which is what we're looking for - and I was tempted to put it in the dehydrated to dry it and then grind to a powder.  No idea what I'd use apple powder for,  but i've read that that's what some people do.    Dh hadn't realised, as I hadn't mentioned it until well through the process,  and it turned out that he'd been putting the bruised bits and cores in with the discarded pulp.  No good then,  and I don't mind, I'll just try and remember next year.  

Or next tree, perhaps.

The quinces are still on the tree,  and are not yet ready to be picked.    I've bookmarked some recipes for membrillo.  And I'd like to make some quibce jelly, as the shop bought stuff just isn't a patch on home made.  I tried to buy some from the Quince Lady, over in Henley,  but it turns out she's packed it all in.  


 



Followers