Sunday 24 September 2017

Saturday and Sunday

The whirlwhind that is Small Person has just left.

One night turned into two.  She hinted during the day that it would be better if she could stay over on Saturday night as well, so I checked with her mum without her knowing.    Later, when we were taling about what to make for pudding,  I said that if we were going to make chocolated steamed pudding, she'd probably need to stay, and suggested she checked with her mum to see if that might be OK. 

She had a class in the morning, so I dropped her just before 10, and picked her up again at 1.  We spent the afternoon playing with chickens,   raking up apples (she was excited to use her new garden tools, and that sort of stuff).  

We did a lot of picky-uppy.  Catch a chook, pick it up, give it a single mealworm, put it down.  Lather, rinse, repeat.    The Girls got a bit fed up of picky uppy, and went into the run.  I could easily have caught the from there, but decided that was them saying "enough now".

It was the Firefly 15th Anniversary marathon on SyFy,  so we went indoors at about 3.30 pm and watched the first (double episode), fast forwarding through the adverts.  We stopped so I could cook dinner,  had dinner,  watched more Firefly.  And more firefly.  And then watched an episode of Taskmaster, which she seems to love.  I think she loves it because it's on late, because it's an adult programme,  and because it makes us laugh.

She insisted that I wake her up to let the chooks out, so that's what  I did at 7.30 this morning.  

We let the chooks out. Bertie pecked one of the poor girls on the head,  so we opened their run doors too so the girls could escape him if they needed to.

He chased them a bit and then, unexpectedly,  did a fleeting cockerel dance.  It was just a quarter turn, very quick, and then he was back to being bossy Bertie.     I guess we'll see more of that over the coming days.

The big girls are eating from the feeder, which is wedged open.  They aren't feeding from it at the same time as Bertie, and that's an issue.    We need them to be confident eating at the same time as him so we can close it. They will learn how to open it from him.  

It's only been a couple of days,  but it feels like daaaaaaaayyyyyyyss.

SP asked me if I missed Sherbet and Fizz.   I replied, honestly,  not any more.
She was a little shocked, and wanted to understand why I didn't miss them.  I tried to explain.

She asked if the breeder would kill them.   We'd already discussed this, and I told her exactly that. "But why can't he just keep them separately?" she demanded.    I explained, again.   I reminded her that Sherbert and Fizz would have been culled much younger, if the breeder had known they were boys. "But why?"she demanded.    She definitely knows the answer to this, and I realised that she was just in one of those being awkward moods, and she was a bit cross with me for no longer missing the boys.

I didn't rise to it,  and all was well a few minutes later.

Her Dad arrived bang on time at 8.45, and she dragged him outside to meet the new girls.

I'm off outside now to play picky uppy.







Followers