Thursday 21 September 2017

Thursday

Busy day today.    Up very early to get ready to go to ExCel.   If we cut across London, it would be less than 30 miles,  but TomTom and my phone's software both say to go round the M25 and in on the M11, 70 miles.

It was a slow start with lots of hold ups.  It took an hour and three quarters, probably not bad for the time of day,  and was straightforward.  I had to deliver something I'd sold to a place next door to ExCel, and then we carried on.

The Great British Sewing Bee was interesting.  Fairly small,  but a pleasant wander around.  We didn't watch any of the theatre shows or challenges, whih I guess was a bit of a shame,  mainly because I'd arranged another appointment later in the afternoon so we had to Get On.

I did call in at the SureFit Designs stand and topped up on vellum.   I really hope Judith does well there,  she's put so much work in to getting the UK arm up and running.

We left at about 12,  continued round the other side of the M25, and arrived at our next destination a little after 1.30.  And there we picked up 2 young Dorking pullets.  They are young girls, but very big.   When I put them in the carrier, I was hoping that the don't intimidate Bertie too much.

We chatted with the lady for some time, and didn't actually leave there until about 2.15.  We were home by 3,  and I popped the Girls in Bertie's coop.   I opened the door for them almost immediately, but they didn't want to come out.

A bit later, I went out with mealworms for everyone, and they made an appearance.  Bertie seemed not to have noticed them.  He continued seeming to have not noticed them for some time,    nibbling grass around the run and not noticing anything amiss.

He casually started crowing.And then suddenly, he went for them.

I was a bit shocked.

He chased one around the garden..  Not in an excited young cockerel way,  in a "F off out of my space" way.   I stepped in.

I suppose he's been living with 2 other young lads for the last 4 weeks,  and was bottom of the pecking order.  He's presumably staking his claim early.  The two girls, whilst much bigger than him, are trying to take in their new surroundings and are a bit nervous,  so didn't retaliate.  



I should have waited until tonight and just popped them all together in the coop, but I didn't like the tought of them all being shut in, just in case there was trouble.  However,  I had been so focused on worrying about whether he'd get bullied by 2 girls, that it didn't occur to me that he might bully them.

It's pouring with rain now, and I'm watching them carefully.

The girls are big versions of Siouxsie Sioux. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Followers