I started with my first attempt at a Free Standing Lace (FSL) item. This is made using a soluble stabiliser (I used Fabri-Solvy), which is washed away when the design is complete.
Turns out the hanging loop isn't in the hen's centre of gravity (I'll need to see if I can correct that, it means editing the source design), so I had to lie her down on some black stuff to photograph her.
Next, I tried my hand at a couple of mini snowflakes.There were 10 in the set, again from embhome.com. These came out really well, and I'll be making more for the tree (or maybe for cards) at Christmas. I think I'll try metallic thread for them.
With this second attempt I used spray adhesive to float the card, and I floated a layer of tearaway stabiliser on top of that too so I had two layers of stabiliser. The stitching was too dense to put straight on to card really, but it looks OK. Mostly. Well, if you don't look at the poor placement of the "r". The original version had stars in several colours, I decided to just use one colour here.