Wednesday 18 March 2015

Eggsactly

We're enjoying a reasonable supply of eggs at the moment.
 
At home, only the two youngsters, Poopy and Lotti, are laying.  The other 3, who are rising 5, haven't laid for about a year now, although Florence has been crouching for me lately, so I guess she might.

At the allotment, the 3 babies (from last year's hatch)  are all laying regularly. .  As far as I can tell, the 3x rising 6 year olds aren't laying,  a bit of a shame as I wanted to try and have a baby Norman this year (having failed last year because she went broody ).     The two 4 year olds are laying at least intermittently, I know that becuase U;ve disturbed them on the next box from time to time.  The main harem, who are rising 3, are back in lay, and I anticipate a lot of broodiness as soon as the weather warms up.

We don't have a surfeit of eggs, but we do have enough to have 2 eggs each fror breakfast every day,  4 eggs a week to give to our next door neighbour,  and eggs to cook with.  Today I attempted to make Magic Custard Cake,  I'll tell you more about it when I've seen whether or not it works.

It won't last long.  Soon broodiness will kick in. It would be helpful if they didn't all go broody at the same time.



Followers