Saturday 25 June 2011

This year I will mostly be making

frozen fruity lollies.

For the last few years I've mostly made flavoured vodka. I had planned to do the same again this year, possibly extending the repetoire to include cherry brandy etc.   The weather has been a bit strange, and the fruit harvest has been early and sporadic.  So far I just haven't been in the mood.


The tayberries were getting overripe, and I needed to do something in a hurry.  I glanced through my various preserving and drinks books, and I came across a recipe for "righteous raspberry lollies" in my Acton & Sandler "Preserved" books.   I made it. I tried a spoon or two of the liquid before I froze it, and I wasn't overly impressed.   I've just eaten one of the lollies, and they are divine.
So much so that I've made another batch,  and I think I'll be making more.


Here's the recipe (with my adaptations)


300g Raspberries (I used Tayberries. I also used more fruit which resulted in a softer set which tasted delicious but only worked in stick-less lolly moulds)
200g Clear honey
Juice of 1 medium lemon

I used various lolly moulds. I've accumulated various sorts over the years.  The most successful were these http://www.lakeland.co.uk/12978/Twistix-Lolly-Moulds and these http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13025/Ice-Lolly-Moulds  

I originally tried these http://www.lakeland.co.uk/50377/Lick-and-Sip-Lolly-Maker  but the mixture froze a bit soft for these to work properly.


Heat the raspberries in a saucepan with the honey and lemon juice until the mixture comes to the boil. Remove from the heat and mash with a potato masher (I used a wooden spoon)


Pass the mixture through a vegetable mill or conical sieve (I used a mouli thing) to get rid of the pips.  (Don't forget to scrape in the pulp that is passed through the sieve part).


Leva it to cool, then put in lolly moulds and freeze.






Followers