Sunday 12 June 2011

Buttering up

Buttermaking today.   Down to our last scraping of butter for breakfast, so it was just as well that I'd been to the cash and carry on Friday to get cream.

8 litres today.  One carton just wouldn't turn, no matter what I tried,  so I've ended up with a litre of whipped double cream which is currently sitting on the worktop looking rather unloved.

Never mind.  The other 7 litres turned easily enough.  I had plenty of receptacles ready. Some small "individual casserole" lidded dishes,  a couple of actual butter dishes,  a pile of Lock n Lock tubs...     When I ran out of suitable dishes I used the burger press, which worked well.  Chilled all of the filled receptacles in the fridge and later transferred most of them to the freezer.  The freezer was a bit full and I managed to drop and smash one of my individual butter dishes.  Bit of a waste. Still, the lid didn't smash, so I have a spare now.


Will need to think of things to use up some of the buttermilk.





Followers