Saturday 18 April 2020

Rain

It's been dull and wet for the last two days, and a little bit cold. I almost lit a fire last night.

Despite the cool weather, yesterday I carried on with my plans to make mint choc chip ice cream.  I'd got the ice cream maker out of the cupboard the nightbefore so the regierated unit couls settle; the creme de menthe had arrived; the eggs are piling up,  and I had some cream (my brother had been to Costco and dropped some stuff off on the doorstep for me as he had to go to work in the nearby town).

I felt obliged to do it.

I'm glad I did.   I'd forgotten just how lovely the texture of home made ice cream is.   I didn't love the minty ice cream- but then I don't like mint ice cream anyway.  I didn't stir in choc chips,  I just grated chocolate over the top.   DH quite liked it.     I stored the remainder in some perfectly sized little tubs I got from Lakeland for butter,  and there's enough in each tub for one generous portion.

I'm supposed to be cutting down on things that affect my cholesterol, so having home made ice cream isn't really a good thing.  The ice cream maker is sitting on the worktop, winking at me.   I might make another batch of something before I put it away again.

I'm very tired today,  another very disturbed night.   I don't sleep well generally anyway  because I have half an ear open for foxes getting in the Allotmenteers run.    The coop door is closed,  so we'd have time to get downstairs and deal with it before a fox got to the chickens, but I worry that I wouldn't hear in time.  

I've suffered from chicken tinnitus for years, and it always flares up even more when we have a temporary run in the garden.   I have to have the window open, just so I can reassure myself that I'd hear, and I'd wake up.  If the window is shut, then I wake up even more frequently as I think I can har something,  and then I have to get out of bed and go and check.   At least with the window open,  I can reassure myself that it's only the tinnitus, and I can try and go back to sleep.








Followers