Thursday 30 April 2020

Bread and Butter Pudding

I made bread and butter pudding yesterday.

I made a white loaf on Saturday, so that I could have B&BP this week.  I love home made white bread, and it's taken a lot of effort to resist having bread and butter,  buttered toast, etc.

I can't remember when I last made B&BP.   I used to make it a lot, when the children were younger.   Then, when we started to make brown bread,  I stopped making it as it required planning to make white bread, let it stale, and then make the pudding.

I did make it a few times with left over homemade malt loaf (which I'm now craving, now I've though about it), and that was lovely too.

I made it just as my mum taught me to, which isn't how it's done in the recipe books.   We don't use egg, so ours doesn't have a custardy texture.  It's just creamy milk.   We also make it fairly shallow,  because we want lots of the crispy bits on the top.  We never serve with custard,  just with extra cold milk if a bit more liquid is required.

It took a lot of bread.  Both DH and I had a large portion and then we both had seconds.   I was a little surprised about DH having seconds.  He's not a fan of dried fruit and I used to make this with a corner with very little dried fruit in just for him.      I didn't go overboard with the fruit this time, so that probably helped.

It was delicious.

Like my mum's.



Followers