Saturday 11 April 2020

Days go by

The days are rolling by and I am struggling to tell which day of the week it is. More than ever, I can't remember accurately whether I did something yesterday or the day before or the day before that.

I've had to start making notes on my calendar: "visted allotment",  "washed towels",  "gave eggs to xx".  My phone helps me track when I last spoke to my Uncle,  and the chats on Facebook Messenger/WhatsApp are datestamped so I know who I've 'spoken to' that way.


As for DH and I, we're lucky to have space to be able to keep out of each others hair for large parts of the day. 

Our new neighbours put some banana bread on the doorstep yesterday, as a thank you for the eggs.

I've been ensuring that each day I do an amount of "work",  as well as dong things I like, and doing nothing at all.     I am not particularly motivated to do the "work", although I want the "work" to be done,  and for the last few days I've gone back to the Points system.    I award myself points for each thing I do, and when I get to a certain number of points I give myself a reward.

When things are really really really bad,  I get 1 point for each and every thing I do .  A cup in the dishwasher - 1 point.  A piece of paper in the recycling - 1 point. Putting the washing in the machine - 1 point.  turning it on - another point.  Vacuuming 1 section of the kitchen floor - 1 point.    On those days, the bar for a reward is raised or lowered depending on how likely I am to achieve it. It can be anything from, say, 10 points to 100 points to get a reward.  The reward might be "have a glass of squash",  or "check email" or "do a puzzle". 

On those sort of days, it helps me to remind myself that anything and everything I clear away will make a difference and when I've done quite a few, I'll see that difference.   

On other days, if I'm starting from a higher point,  I might have to put everything in the dishwasher to get a point,  or have removed everything from the worktop, cleaned the worktop, and put everything back to get 3 points.  It just depends on where I am on the curve.   

I am aware of how lucky we are,  and that's why make myself get on with stuff.











Followers