Saturday 17 March 2012

Has Bean

Iwas catching up with John Norman's blog the other day, and I read with interest about "Has Bean".  He had been given a 12 week subscription service, receiving 250g of a different type of coffee bean each week for 12 weeks.  The beans arrive with a description, and Has Bean also posts a video blog tasting session to accompany that week's beans. (John's post is here: http://johnnorman.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/has-bean-coffee-gadgets/)

I found the idea appealing.  We already subscribe to a monthly odd-ball wine service,  and that is always interesting.    We buy Union coffee beans at the moment, and the "Has Bean" offerings are similarly priced.    I wasn't sure how well it would work with a beab-to-cup coffee machine as not all beans/blends/roasts are suitable for espresso.  Still, it was only as 12 week commitment, so I thought we'd give it a go.

My first pack arrived today. "Brazil Tapera Pulped - Natural". I spent time hoiking the remaining Union beans out of the machine's coffee bean hopper (putting them in an airtight jar to store in the fridge).  Then I went on to the Has Bean website to load up the tasting video.  

Turns out that the videos are loaded on Monday.


I considered whether to carry on anyway, but decided I'd wait. It may be that the videos suggest various ways of preparing the coffee.. maybe we're best off tasting a plain espresso first. I don't know.  

Besides, I can use some pre-ground coffee in the machine, so it's not like I'll have to empty it all again anyway.
 



 

Followers