Wednesday 25 March 2009

On the cusp

Millie is going broody.

Every day for the past few days, she has spent ages in the nestbox. Each time I've gone to have a look, she's done that wonderful chicken growl that is meant to scare me away. Each time I've moved her, I've found her incubating eggs.

First day I caught her at it, she was incubating the two dummy eggs and her own. The dummy eggs (and hers of course) have been removed. Second day, she was incubating Jasmine's egg; third day, Delilah's and Lily's; today it was Delilah and Jasmine's. As with the other days, I hoiked her out and put her in the garden. As with other days, she then seemed to forget about being broody...until the next morning.

I'm thinking that if she slips into it fully this time I might just let her get on with it. I'm not sure how it will affect the other Girls though, I don't want them to end up laying their eggs in the garden. Hmmm. Have to see, I think.

Followers