Tuesday 10 March 2009

Chicken Roundabout

There is a place on the Norfolk/Suffolk border which is the home of the "Chicken Roundabout". I heard about it on the Omlet forum a few weeks ago, and dound out the story/saw the pictures on the website http://www.chickenroundabout.co.uk/

I was intrigued, and I ordered the book (which is fiction, not meant to be the True History. Although having read it, it would be sooooo funny if it was).

And then last weekend I was going to Ipswich to see my lovely step daughter, and decided to go and have a look.

I went to Nowich first. I don't know what I was thinking, I don't normally brave any town centre on a Saturday, so why I thought it would be interesting to see the sights of Norwich, I have no idea. Anyway, I was hoping to get to Ditchingham around dusk, as I wanted to see the chickens roosting in the trees.

I was a bit early though, so I saw the chickens on the ground. I can't believe that they survive there. I don't mean foxes, I mean human predators. I know there is a local chappy who feeds them (he's in the book), but he can't possibly protect them.

Anyway. It's well worth a visit if you are interested in chickens and you are in the vicinity. And I started to read the book when I got back to my hotel, and I can recommend that too. A great chickeny gift. (No, I'm not on commission).




Followers