Wednesday 10 August 2022

Other wins and fails

Did I mention that as part of my extended Decupboarding, I cleared enough space in the Guest BedroomSewing room to move the embroidery machine so I could get to it a little easier?

Its taken me ages to actually work up the enthusiasm to switch the embroisdery machine on and try it.   It was the birthday of my lovely cousin's amazing wife that finally made me do it.

I managed to adapt a design,  I had to do a bit of re-learning of the software.  Then it took forever to get it to the machine because the dedicated laptop had to do many updates before it would even let me do anything.  I had to RTFM to find out how to get the design to thte machine.

I didn't have the right colour threads loaded, so I rethreaded the machine. This was easier than before because (a) I'd put tubing on forever ago, to try and stop the threads being attracted to each other - what a difference" -   and (b) I could reach each side of the machine now. Npo more standing o steps to rethread from the front. Hopefully.

And I did the stitch out!  I was very happy!!

We've been in close contact with someone who came down with Covid (for the second time, despite being jabbed), so we stayed in for several days, and tested frequently.   The latest iteration is so easily transmissable. 

End result: I missed the birthday.  I should have just posted the card, but I didn't. I might pop round with it today.

In other sewing news,  I attempted to make myself some plain tops.  I started with soft pink tee shirt fabric,  and it was a disaaaaaaaster.    I'm using a pattern template that I have used, successfully, manytimes before - although never with fabric quite this thin and stretchy.  I had a second go, and the top is better made, but it looks atrocious on.     I can't work out yet whether it's because the fabric is superstretchy (compared to the fabrics I've used my template for, before),  whether I've put on weight (likely),  and/or whether my bust point has moved now that I'm wearing Optiform bras. 

I had to get my original Surefit Blueprint shirt off my DressForm to see.  It fits OK.  The bust point may have moved a little, but not enough (I don't think) to make  such a disaster.     I'm going to have to try an Apostrophe Pattern tee shirt, where I put in my measurements and the fabric stretch, and it comes up with a pattern template.   It may help me see where my disaaaaaaaster pattern has gone wrong.     However, that requires me to use my projector,  and the table is covered in cupboard contents.  Not today.

On the plus side,  in order to retrieve my Surefit Blueprint garment from my dress form, I had to take all the unfinished items off the top, they were slung on her shoulders..... and I found a skirt I'd made a year (or two?) ago, and hadn't hemmed.  It's a lightweight cotton jersey type skirt,  so I hemmed it and put it on.  Much more airy than the Scuba I'd been wearing, and much lighter.

The waistband is far too loose, so I'm having to fold it over to get it to stay up.  I might put a smaller waistband on at some point - but not today. 

A few weeks ago, a member on one of the sewing groups I'm in was complaining about people taking pictures in a mirror, as the phone often obliterates part of what is being snapped.    There was a lot of discussion about alternative ways of setting up a phone.

Around the same time, I saw a video of a chap who used a selfie stick, attached a cat toy to it, and then ran around his garden filming as he was chased by his cats.  The end video was really good and I fancied trying it with our cats.   We've got DGD4 and Miss Teen coming to stay soon,  so I thought they might like to have a go (weather permitting).

With both those things in mind I bought a clever telescopic selfie stick.  It's quite sweet, and more useful than I expected.  It's working well.

Right, I need to try and get smome order back into the kitchen.  Time to get back to the cupboards!

 


Followers