Saturday 20 August 2022

Home alone

The few days with the girls went okay. They are 14, so it's hard to tell.

We did some things together - like Crazy Golf,  GoApe (DH did the course, I stayed n the ground as I knew I'd struggle).

They played tennis. We had to get the second hand racquet rebound as the seller had coloured it in. What sort of person does that?!?!   It came off all over DGDs hand. 

They also played Swingball a lot.  Or Crazyball as Miss Teen calls it. Or Whackaball as DGD calls it.  Or Gerald /Geralina /Geraldine.

We let them go out for dinner together, followed by the cinema. Without us. I sent money to DGD, so she had enough in her account to pay via her debit card.   It was the first time they had been to a restaurant without adults.  

We hid, unbeknown to them, in a restaurant around the corner until they finished dinner and went to the cinema.  A way of letting them be grown up, but being close enough to be on hand if things went awry.

They didn't really want to do anything much, which was disappointing.  However, I think they were OK.

They went to their respective homes yesterday afternoon.

.....

Today, DH went off to do the build up week for a festival. He left very early, and I got up as soon as he had gone.  The chap who helps with the garden comes at 9. 

I've been doing stuff all day.   I cupboarded  under the sink, which was easier than I expected.  I'm waiting for some stuff to arrive to help me organise it when I refill it.  It should be here tomorrow.

In the meantime, I have had to pick everything up from the floor because the cats are curious,  and undersink stuff is probably not good for cats.

I also cupboarded the Preserving Jar cupboard.  I soaked all the jars that had old labels on and rewashed them.  I labelled the 11 jars of passage that  DH made last night.

I sorted out the dumping area that is the utility room floor.  That took longer than expected. 

It was the perfect drying day, so I stripped the beds and did 11 lots of presoaking and washing.  Mattress protectors, sheets, duvet cover,   towels, towels, towels, cleaning cloths, clothes,  some cushion covers, some random 30 degree bits. All done.  9 of the 11 loads were dry,  the remaining 2 are now inside on an airer

I washed and sterilised all our fizzy water bottles, and then filled the fridge with carbonated water

I'm part way through an order with another company.  I need some more of those sheet clips. It won't be dispatched until.Monday, so im waiting until tomorrow to check out.

I decided that, amongst other things,  i'm going to paint the kitchen ceiling,  so I continued clearing in readiness.  I went out and collected yet another set of 2 steps.  These, unlike the other goodness knows how many sets I have around the house,   have  bar at the top.  I think that will  help when I'm washing the ceiling.
When I git them home, I realised that i probably want a set with a taller  bar.  I've found some options,  but I'll see how I get on with this set first.

I had a Physio appointment at 5, which was en route to the steps.  I had to get changed as I was very sweaty.  I decided to try using the foot spa to clean my feet, which were filthy as I haven't been wearing shoes or slippers. 

I put a dash of body wash in, which was a mistake. 
the bubbles were up to my knees.  It was like a horror movie. 

I was running late so I turned it off and left it, thinking i'd sort it out when I got back.  However, all traces off bubbles had disappeared by the time I got home.  

It had done a fab job of cleaning and softening my feet, so I might try again tomorrow.  Its a bit noisy, and therefore antisocial, to do when DH is here.

 I was out for a couple of hours in total.  As soon as I returned, I gave the Girls their sunflower seeds, put food down for the cats, and got the washing in. 

I was carrying the basket upstairs.  Shelby was lying on one of the steps, which wasn't unusual.  However, she refused to remove, which was.

She did move in the end,  but itvwas all very awkward.  When I put the washing down on the landing, I  turned ro look at her, and she was still lying there.  I called her name, she looked at me, and she got up to go downstairs. She looked like she had broken something.   

I gallumped after her, and folded on the floor in fronr of her so I could assess her.

Then I saw it.

She had her arm through her collar!   I undid her collar, gave her a massive cuddle in relief, and she toddled off happily.

I skipped breakfast and lunch.  I finally ate at about 8pm, a  pressure cooker risotto from Catherine Phipps most recent book.  It was lovely.    Obviously it didn't have the depth of  step by step risotto,  but it was really good, and really quick.   I think this will be my new go to method.

I'm currently aiming to do the painting on Monday,  so that gives me tomorrow to clean up, wash the ceiling,  get the paint,  cover everything... and remove the downlighters (which looked very easy when I watched  YouTube video)

We shall  see.






Followers