Saturday 13 February 2021

What a bind

I made another sleeveless tee shirt today, and today I was determined to  use my binder to apply the neck binding.




So, I cut out my fabric, and I gathered the neckline using my overlocker.  

It was beautiful. 

I could have cried.  

(In case I ever forget this,  I used the overlocker, not the knife,  from the top of the shoulder, down a few inches. Then, I changed the differential to 2, and carried on to the same point on the other shoulder.   I switched back to N, and carried on to the top of the shoulder.  This also had the benefit of stablilising the rest of the neckline a bit.

Next, I wanted to tackle the neckbinding, so first I watched a really helpful video by Gail Yellen.  She just happens to use a Babylock, so her video was perfect.

 

Beautiful Binding
I set up Euphy.  Feeding the binding into the binder was a little tricky as  the binding I was using was a bit curly at the edges - this  caused problems later.  

I did as Gail suggested,  and then I took a deep breath and added my tee shirt. Off I went, slowly and carefully, starting at the back to any teething issues would be hidden by my hair. 

 And it worked!

 

 

Oops

 

Well, it worked except for the bit where the fabric had curled before going into the binder accessory, I hadn't noticed, and didn't notice until I'd finished.   Sadly it's on the front of the garment, so it's pretty disastrous.

I also should have used 2 needles, not 3, which I realised perfectly well before I started but I carried on anyway.  This only caused minor issues. 

Despite the issue I had, I'm really pleased with that part of the process.

 

Of course I made a pigs ear when I overlocked the second shoulder together.  I lined up the binding, but I lined it up so itwas correct from the inside and it wasn't correct when turned out.   I'll try harder next time.

Finally, I used the down turn feller  to hem the armholes, and that did a good job.  I migh ttry binding the armholes next time, as I need the practice, but that will mean I need to be even more careful when it comes to overlocking the seams. 

I've still got to hem the bottom, and I'll do that later.

Luckily I have enough fabric for a second one.  Maybe tomorrow. 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total crafty things this year: 15
(Sewing based makes: 10;   learning activities: 4;  Non sewing based craft makes: 1. )



  

 


Followers