Wednesday 10 February 2021

Jacket Required

The Girls have been on Flockdown for.. I don't know how long.    They are doing quite well.  

DH put up yet another netted area, to give the first one a rest.  The grass is already showing the stress of 15 pairs of feet, and 15 bored beaks.

None of the girls have come back in to lay yet, which has surprsed me.  I thought the two leghorns would have started laying by now.   It may be that they are laying , and the eggs are being eaten.  I look for evidence, but haven't found any.    Traditionally it's Valentines day that marks the time they should be coming in to lay, so we'll see what happens.

We're very lucky that there is a "local" place that delivers eggs, so we've had 18 eggs a week delivered for some time now.     

The forecast for tonight is -4 degrees.    Tome to roll out the extreme temperature jacket!.

I bought the Jacket many years ago, as soon as Omlet started selling them. Back then we had only 1 Cube, so I only bought one jacket.  It's sat in MyShed since the day it was delivered.    We didn't think about it last time we had a cold snap.

This time, I decided to try using it.

We have 3 Cubes.  One has 7, or 8, or 9 occupants in, and so does not need insulating;  One has 5 occupants and that was the one I was initially considering jacketing,  and one has 1 or 2 or 3 occupants, depending on who has been allowed in the first one.

I wanted to do the 5 hen cube, because the 5 girls all squash in the nestbox. I have no idea why, but I think it's because the Cube is more exposed.      But if we have a Cube with ony 1,2 or 3 girls, surely that needs it more?

In the end, I did the Cube with the fewest occupants.

I'm not at all sure about it.  It covers all the ventilation (apart from the vents at the front), and that's not usually a good idea.  Still, cold is cold,  so I'll leave it on tonigjht and take it off tomorrow if the temperature is going to increase. 

The auto close failed.   It failed because I'd put the jacket on, and it was blocking the door pull thing.    

The pic is before I realised what was going on.  

 




 


Followers