Saturday 27 February 2021

Always something to learn

I had an opportunity to join a Zoom workshop for my new covertsitch machine today, and I took it.

I'm already quite competent at using the machine,  and using several of the attachments.  It's a lovely machine,  very easy to use.  I strongly believe, howeverm, that there is always something to learn, or to be reminded about,  so I was very pleased to do the class.

And it was worth it.  

I learned the solution to the problem I'd been having with one of the binders (use 45mm strips, not the stated 42mm.  I'd already guessed that the strips needed to be wider,  and it was great that I now have a size to work to).  I also learned that the rake needed adjusting.

I learned how to coverstitch a circle (using the middle needle marker as a guide).

I learned how to move the needle, and move the threading, without having to unthrad and rethread. 

I learned about some new stretchy thread that's worth trying (Seraflex. And maybe Seraflock)

I was reminded about using other threads in the lower looper, and I learned about using shirring elastic in the looper.

 I learned that I could use the coverstitch to gather, so that's an option instead of my overlocker, next time Im doing a gathered neckline).


After the class I did some tests on gathering.  I switched to a chain stitch (so one needle and the looper), and I cut some fabric so I had several identically sized pieces.

I then did a gather using just the differential (top in pic); I then put shirring elastic into the looper, and tried that, with no differential feed; And then I did shirring elastic AND the differential (bottom in pic)

The difference was interesting.

I was thinking thse might be good for cuffs, as well as necklines.   I need to try and incorporate one or more of them in something. 

It was a well spent few hours, and I'm really grateful to Jane at Jane White Tuition for organising it.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total crafty things this year: 18
(Sewing based makes: 12;   learning activities: 5;  Non sewing based craft makes: 1. )

 


 

 


Followers