Thursday 4 February 2021

Cushioning

DH decided to put a brighter bulb in the floor lamp.   Afterwards, it was horrible.  It was slow to warm up, cast a funny colour, and was reflected in the middle of the TV screen so it interfered with my viewing.   

He open to trying a new bulb, but I wanted to try something different.  It occurred to me that an old fashioned standard lamp might work.     I started to scour FB marketplace, Gumtree and Ebay to find something suitable.

I didn't find anything.  Either they weren't what I wanted, or were too expensive, or were too far away (we're in Lockdown, so I needed something localish).

My searches meant that my Facebok ads were all about lamps.   A lady who makes handmade shades popped up on my feed,  and they looked lovely - but not what I wanted.   It did make me do an impulse search of Standard Lamp Shades and one of the first ones I saw was  perfect.

I showed the picture to DH, and he said he might be able to adapt the current lamp so it could take that sort of shade.  I ordered the shade, and it arrived the next day,

I burst out laughing when I saw the shade, because I realised why it had appealed to me so much.   Stacked in my stash,  I have several metres of upholstery fabric, in two colourways, with the same design!

I decided I'd make a matching cushion.  

Originally I was going ot use the same fabric, but use the different colourways on each side   I changed my mind when I retrieved it from my stash as I found some other fabric that was waiting patiently to be used.

 





I was going to put piping round the side, but parked that when I decided to do a zip at the bottom.   It's been a while since I've done a zip, and I had to use a tutorial to work out how to get it in place properly if it wasn't going the whole length of the bottom (This was the tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M3XWdjDry0_.  ) I realised I was going to have to use my sewing machine (instead of my overlocker and its zipper foot), so I parked the piping.  I regret that a bit. 

The resulting cushion is fine, I'm happy with it. Of course I could have done it better, and maybe I will next time.  

 I will probably make a second one,  but I don't have any more cushion inners and they aren't really an "essential" purchase.

I placed the cushion straight for the photo, but normally it is angled so it is standing on one of the corners.    It occurred to me that maybe I should try changing the orientation of the fabric on my next one, so that the images are the right way up when the cushion is on its corner.

I'm definitely overthinking this now!

 

 Total crafty things this year: 11
(Sewing based makes: 8;   learning activities: 2;  Non sewing based craft makes: 1. )


Followers