Wednesday 10 February 2021

Gathering pace

Last night I decided that today I would make a sleeveless top.   

I had my sleeveless top pattern out as I was trying scanning and importing into Inkscape for manipulation, and projecting.  I had mixed results,  but I did learn a lot from an online intro done by one of the members of the Projectors for Sewing Facebook group.     I will be able to do a lot of manipulation of bought PDF patterns, and I'm looking forward to doing that.

Anyway, as I had my template out, I thought I might as well make a top.    I cleared the cutting table, got some fabric from my stash, and cut out the simple back and front.

This particular pattern of mine has a gathered neckline instead of bust darts.   I decided to try gathering using my overlocker.    I watched a video, just to make sure I knew what I was supposed to be doing, and had a go on a test piece.  I used a lomg stitch,  overlocked for a few centimetres, then changed the differential to 2.  This should mean it gathers, say, 5cm of fabric into 2.5 cm.

It worked like a dream.    I didnt gather enough - that is, I started too late and ended too early roud my neckline -  which has affected the way the item hangs,  but the gathering was gorgeous. 

I will definitely be  trying this method again next time I make this pattern.

I finished the item on my coverstitch machine.    I used the large Single Down Turn Feller to do a triple stitch hem.    The  Downturn Feller lets me hem without having to iron first.

I didn't need it to be triple stitched,  but I already had 3 needles in, and I thought I might as well.

For the armholes, I used the tiny Single Downturn Feller and simply hemmed them rather than adding a binding,   This worked really well. 

Finally, I put a neckband on.   I was going to use the binder attachment, but this requires one shoulder to be open, it can't be sewn in the round.  In case I stuffed up,  I decided to do it my usual way, with a band cut to the right size and sewn into a loop.  This way, if something went wrong, i would know what was caused by the gathering and what was caused by the neckband.

That would have been OK, if I had actually done what I intended,   Instead, I cut the length and forgot about sewing it into a loop.  So I was attaching it to a closed loop, and of course I completely stuffwd up the final join.  And then I made a complete pigs ear of coverstitching.  It was the worst of all worlds!    

Serves me right for being cocky.   

It's not bad (apart from the neckband), but it would be improved if I had gathered more.    I might make another version tomorrow.  I might even try the binder attachment.

In other news, some really Useful Drawers arrived today and I've installed them in the small bedroom (where the A0 table is) and they are now full of wool.    My embellisher wasn't in my Dealer's delivery today sadly,  but she has sent me the additional feet I ordered.     I hope they come soon, while i'm in a "making things" frame of mind.

Total crafty things this year: 13
(Sewing based makes: 9;   learning activities: 3;  Non sewing based craft makes: 1. )




Followers