Friday 27 August 2021

Cover Up

We have an electric desk, with a bamboo worktop on, as out kitchen table.  

Since I started using a projector to project patterns,  the table has been solely used as my cutting table  (and a dumping ground).     If we moved it, or adjusted it, or moved the projector,  I'd have to recalibrate everything,  and it's easier to just move it.

Underneath the table is a unit upon which sits my A0 printer.    I bought this when I was printing A0 versions of patterns (before my projector)',  when it seemed less hassle than getting them printed and delivered, 

DH uses the A0 printer sometimes,  so we don't want to get rid of it.   We've talked about putting it in the loft, bur there isn't a lot of space for it,  and I'm concerned that the ink would dry up superfast up there as it's very very hot. 

So, the A0 printer has continued to live under the table.   It's a bit of a dust trap,  and I don't think that's dong it any good.  Some time ago, I realised I could just "whip up" a cover for it.   Every time I dust it (which isn't that often, truth be told), I think the same thing,

Today was oe of those days when I cleaned it carefuly and thought again that I really should  make it a cover.   And then I decided to just do it.

Instead of measuring, I decided to do it on the fly.  I'm not sure which part of me thought that this would end well.  

The fabric wasn't quite wide enough, so I had to sew some together.  I had a brainwave of any idea which was to add some to each end, and use those added bits to box the corners.

It went quite well.  The cutting and attaching was fine.   The two front box corners were better than I expected.    It all went quite quickly.    I had to leave to run an errand, so when I came back I had to do the two back box corners, and then tidy the hen all the way round. 

I thought about using the coverstitch to do the hemming, but decided that I'd put elastic round the sides and back, to help it fit snugly.   I also decided that thes was the ideal time to break out that elastic foot I bought for the overlocker.

I realise that using clear elastic, designed for stabilising seams, was probably not the best choice. However, it wasn't a disaster (it wasn't really an improvement to the item though). 

It isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not a disaster.      Adding knicker elastic to the back, using my never-before-tried elastic foot on my overlocker, was a bit ambitious, and possibly wasn't the best idea. I've had, but it's OK.

The corners won't win any awards, but they really aren't bad (as in "really aren't bad consiudering that I did this on the spur of the moment, made it up as I wet along, and was in a hurry")..  They do the job:  the cover sits on the printer, it's held in place at the corners, the front is straight and neat.


And it will keep the dust off.


Total crafty things this year: 48

Sewing based makes: 
123) Inner pad for foot muff; make cover for foot muff;  trim down Superking Duvet to KS and recover edges;
456)Cushion cover for Miss T; Gift bags for Miss T and GDK;
7)Dressing Gown;
8-10)Cat Duvet, Duvet Cover and Pillowcase;
11) Cushion cover for living room;
12-15) Sleeveless tops (x4);
16) SBCC top
17) Overlocker chicken
18) Curtains for nest boxes (4, but counted as 1 make)~
19,20,21)Boxers for DH (test pairs for sizing - counted as 1,  and then 2 pairs)
Abandoned muslin for LoveNotions Willow Wrap Dress (not counted in total makes)
22)Apostrophe Patterns Joggers (jellyfiah and space)
23)Apostrophe Patterns Flared Joggers (black, with big red roses)
24)Boxes for DH (3 pairs using black cotton lycra with patterned fly)
25)Shorten the hems and sleeves on 4 of Mum's day dresses (count as 1 task)
26) repurposed  old tee shirt as cover for mini cushion
27) Burrito rolled bag (from Jane's July Zoom)
28) Replace waistban on massively oversized maxi skirt
29) Salvage DH's Firestorm tee shirt (using stretchyfix)
30) Yet another Heartlight skirt (July) feathers scuba, great pattern matching, good fit on waistband
31) Convert single duvet cover to king size
32) Convert 1 pillowcase to 2,  and create 2 additional plain pillowcases to match
33) Dressing gown (LoveNotions Compose) (black flowers on white, brished cotton)
34) Cover for A0 printer


Learning activities:
1) Scanning pattern pieces; 2) Making movies; 3)Babylock demo day; 4)Gathering using my overlocker;   5) Euphy training (circles,using elastic in looper);6) Gail Yellen's binder course; 7) Inkscape 1; 8) casting on;  9)purling; 10)casting off

Non sewing based craft makes: 
A) Painted bisque butter dish and had it fired

B) Knitted Infinity scarf, first attempt (pinks)
 
C) Painted bisque small jug (hen names) and had it fired. 
D) Heart shaped plate with names of all our pet hens, and had it fired



Followers