Monday 2 August 2021

Tears for Elsa

When I was a small child (45 years ago?),  I watched Born Free with my mum.    I cried, a lot, as I ofte did at sadhappy films.

Many years later (like about 5 years ago), I bought some new music for my lovely Orla, and the first piece in the book was Born Free.   I played it , and I cried.

I've played it many times since.

Every time I play it, I can hear the voice of Virginia McKenna (as Joy Adamson) talking about Elsa, just film.

I sat down to play today, for the first time in a long while,  and that book was on the stand.  I played many of the songs.  I played Born Free, and I heard the narration  The bit I remembered was when Elsa came back hurt.

It made me cry. 

I've no idea why I had such an emotional response today. Maybe I'm tired, I don't know.

 Before Covid I bought a copy of Born Free on DVD, but I haven't been able to watch it.      I might try.  I don't know if it will exorcise the tears, or make them worse.

 


 

Followers