Sunday 3 June 2018

Number 6

Number 6 survived the night.

This morning, the yolk sac was detached.  I can't open the incubator, so I can't see whether his tummy is OK and healed, or whether there is a problem.

He's a yellow/brown chick, and he's tiny.  The egg he came from was very small, and I don't know who laid it.  It was the wrong colour to be one of the Dorkings.  It was too small for most of the harem.

It could be a Siouxsie egg.  The colouring of the egg wasn't quite the colour I remember from Siouxsie's eggs, but it was very very glossy like her eggs were.


It's possible that this little lone chick could be from that line. I looked at pics of Siouxise, Pogo, Not Norman, and Norman when they were chicks.   Number 6 could definitely be fom that line!   Pogo and NotNorman's   nephew/niece. Norman's  first cousin once removed .

But I need to not get ahead of myself.  Poor little Number 6 is going to have a bit of a long lonely  road ahead.     And the incubator has to stay shut for now.

And the others are going to have to go out in the shed brooder today so tha the upstairs brooder is empty for Number 6 to move in to.

We talked about keeping one of the chicks back to put in with Number6.    The problem is that if Number6 has got some sort of latent infection,  it'll transfer to the chick we put in with it. 

I looked back in my blog to see what we had done with Norman,  and I could see what we need to do here.

The exercise  reminded me of why keeping a blog is so useful.







Followers