Monday 3 February 2014

Strange addictions

I'm addicted to pickled cucumber spears. Mrs Elwood's, specifically.




Some years ago a dietician advised me to try having a tabespoon of cider vinegar about 15 minutes before my evening meal.  The acid would get my digestive juices going, and it would help me digest my meal.

It wasn't as unpleasant as I expected.  Despite this, I didn't keep it up. She gave me several pieces of advice, and this is probably the only one I didn't stick to.

I've always liked vinegar on my chips,  and vinegar on my tuna. I love Tyrrells Sea Salt and Cider Vinegar crisps.  In the old days, when I still ate McDonalds, I had BigMac because of the gherkins. I remember that the sister of an old boyfriend used to like vinegar sandwiches, but that was too much for me.

Sometimes, when I'm thirsty, I crave something a bit vinegary.  I guess I miist have had one of those cravings while doing an online supermarket shop. They must have popped up as being on special offer or something when I was browsing the shop. 

The jar sat in the cupboard. And sat there. And sat there.

Just after Christmas I was having a bit of a vinegar craving, and I opened the jar and tried one, closing the jar as I ate it.  I opened the jar and had another. And another.

After a couple of days the jar was empty.

Since then, I always have a jar on the go in the fridge and a spare in the cupboard.  I try and limit myself to eating one (or two) a bit before a meal.   Kinda in the spirit of having the vinegar before I eat.

Or at least that's what I tell myself.
 

Followers