Sunday 12 February 2012

Pork, Again.

The pork weekend continues.  Yesterday, we made a gelatinous stock (using the bones,  stock veg, and - most importantly - the trotters). This cooled and set overnight, and we'll be making pork pie later today.

Today DH de-boned the leg of pork, ready to make ham. We're doing a wet cure this time, so he prepped the brine, and that's cooling at the moment.


I'm just about to cook ham hocks ( one each from the last two half pigs) for dinner tonight.  I've had ham hock once before, in Bavaria somewhere. Or it might have been a Bavarian restaurant somewhere else in Germany, I can't remember (travelled a lot for work, and it was with team mates from all over Europe). I remember that it was beautifully cooked fat, and not  lot of anything resembling ham.     Not sure what mine will turn out like, I guess we'll see in a few hours.



Followers