Tuesday, 11 October 2011


This year, the Quince tree produced 9 fruits. That's our biggest harvest ever.  I put one into a pie with some apples. Absolutely lovely.  DH didn't mind the taste (he drank some of the poaching liquid) but didn't like the texture.

I've used three more to make some quince jelly.  It's hanging from the "chandelier" above the breakfast bar, dripping.  The liquid is pink and clear, and smells vaguely perfumed.

DH hung the Lonzino up there this morning as it has reached the stage where it needs 24 hours in a warm environment.  I decided that hanging next to some steaming quince juice was possibly a little too warm, so I've relocated it. It's now handging from another light fitting elsewhere in the kitchen.  Tomorrow it'll  then join the ham which is hanging from the light fitting in the spare bedroom, which is cooler (being north facing and uinheated) and airier than anywhere else in the house or garden.  We're hoping no one will want to come and stay before the two bits of pork have finished curing.

My lovely neighbour delivered her ornamental quinces a couple of weeks ago, and they have been ripening on the kitchen table.  Some of them went yellow, i.e. ripe, others skipped that stage and went straight to brown and wrinkly.    I picked out the ones that are ready, and decided to make japonica and lemon jelly. I guess I should have made just jelly, then I could have compared the two...but I didn't. So, that is currently dripping through a jelly bag.   This is not pink, and it is not clear. Not really sure what's happened,  so I think I'll try straining again before I use juice tomorrow.  I might try doing another batch and use my tefal jam maker to extract the juice. Not today though.  And not tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be busy.  I've got the 2 lots of quince juice to turn into jelly,  and I'm making 4 C*******s cakes. 

DH has been making curry base for the freezer ("Curry Secret" cookbook. Make restaurant quality curries at home).It takes a while to make, so we make a lot of it in one go.  But once it's made,  a restaurant-quality curry takes only 20 mins to make. It's been portioned up into tubs and, as soon as they are cold, we'll pop them into  the freezer.

Between us we've made a bit of a mess of the kitchen.  Still. That's what it's there for.

1 comment:

  1. Don't ***** the festive word! Embrace it! ;0)

    Sounds like you are really busy. A friend has announced that she has quinces, so am tempted to pop over a nab a few. ;0)

    C x