Monday 20 December 2021

Curtain butchery

You may recall that I was really pleased with my adaptation of the bargain curtains.    The seller had been selling 4 pairs; I wasn't sure that one pair would be wide enough, so I bought two pairs.   In the end, I used on the one pair, and I have been considering what to do about the second pair.

Initially, I considered putting them up at the other end of the long room.   I borrowed the eyelet-adapted pair, and put them up, just to see.  They were OK, but the ceiling is a little lower, and I'd need to do more adaptations.    

Next, I considered putting them in the Guest Bedroom/My sewing room.   They were a bit long, and not wide enough.   The colour, however, was quite good.  I wondered idly whether I could turn them on their sides to make curtains wide enough, and the shortiness would mean they would go behind the radiator.  I inspected the curtains and saw that the "hem" at the original bottom was the same as the hemming on the sides.  It might work!

Or I could go back to the seller and buy another pair.

I didn't really want to shell out for more curtains (the postage was expensive),  so I decided to butcher one curtain and see what it looked like with eyelets.  It wasn't a particularly neat job, but it was OK.

    I couldnt get the curtain pole undone to hang it,  DH was out for the day,  so I only managed to test  it today.  It looked OK.  Except.  The design of the brackets for the rather expensive forged iron pole meant that eyelet curtains were not going to work.     I decided to leave it for a while, to give me time to think,

DH came downstairs and said he'd ordered an extendable pole from Argos, click and collect, which he collected and hung up for me.  The curtain worked OK, so I butchered the second curtain, and that room now has new curtains.

It was a quick job, and the execution on my part was very slapdash.  But it's done, and it's OK.

Total crafty things this year:62

Sewing based makes: 
123) Inner pad for foot muff; make cover for foot muff; trim down Superking Duvet to KS and recover edges;
456)Cushion cover for Miss T; Gift bags for Miss T and GDK;
7)Dressing Gown;
8-10)Cat Duvet, Duvet Cover and Pillowcase;
11) Cushion cover for living room;
12-15) Sleeveless tops (x4);
16) SBCC top
17) Overlocker chicken
18) Curtains for nest boxes (4, but counted as 1 make)~
19,20,21)Boxers for DH (test pairs for sizing - counted as 1, and then 2 pairs)
Abandoned muslin for LoveNotions Willow Wrap Dress (not counted in total makes)
22)Apostrophe Patterns Joggers (jellyfiah and space)
23)Apostrophe Patterns Flared Joggers (black, with big red roses)
24)Boxes for DH (3 pairs using black cotton lycra with patterned fly)
25)Shorten the hems and sleeves on 4 of Mum's day dresses (count as 1 task)
26) repurposed old tee shirt as cover for mini cushion
27) Burrito rolled bag (from Jane's July Zoom)
28) Replace waistban on massively oversized maxi skirt
29) Salvage DH's Firestorm tee shirt (using stretchyfix)
30) Yet another Heartlight skirt (July) feathers scuba, great pattern matching, good fit on waistband
31) Convert single duvet cover to king size
32) Convert 1 pillowcase to 2, and create 2 additional plain pillowcases to match
33) Dressing gown (LoveNotions Compose) (black flowers on white, brished cotton)
34) Cover for A0 printer
35) Condolence cards
36) Halftime Hoodie with thumbhile cuffs
37) Jolly Roger hoodie with raglan sleeves, crossover cown hood, thumbhole cuffs
38) Half Tme hoodie, larger size, with kangaroo pocket
39) Horsey Dressing Gown for MIss Teen
40) Camo dressing gown for DH
41) converted curtains to eyelet curtains (french windows)
42) converted bargain curtains to eyelet curtains (upstairs front)

Learning activities:
1) Scanning pattern pieces; 
2) Making movies; 
3)Babylock demo day; 
4)Gathering using my overlocker; 
5) Euphy training (circles,using elastic in looper);
6) Gail Yellen's binder course; 
7) Inkscape 1; 
8) casting on; 
9)purling; 
10)casting off: 
11) full on scanning and testing of Jacket Retreat pieces, and many SFD drafted knit fabric pattern pieces.

Non sewing based craft makes:
A) Painted bisque butter dish and had it fired
B) Knitted Infinity scarf, first attempt (pinks) C) Painted bisque small jug (hen names) and had it fired. 
D) Heart shaped plate with names of all our pet hens, and had it fired
E) Medium jug
F) Tall, "split personality" jug
G) Macrame angel
H) Felted a christmas bauble
I) Made a fused glass teaight


Followers