Tuesday 21 December 2021

Christmas Cards

We've just got back from the Post Office, posting (1st Class, as it's last posting day) Christmas Cards.

Every year, about the beginning of December, I think: Christmas cards are such a waste. I won't send any this year.

Every year,  as the last posting date for 2nd class looms, I think: Nope, I'm really not going to send any this year

Every year, just after the last posting date for 2nd class has passed,  DH says Shall we do the cards today?   I say I wasn't going to send any this year .  DH says Let's see who sent us cards

We pile up the Cnristmas cards, unopened, as they arrive.  Then,  once we have put up the tree and decorations,  we go through and open them all in one go.    It means we both get to see them, and then we hang them on a string accross the kitchen.   We used to hang them all over the place,  but there are many fewer cards now, as most people don't bother. 

Then I go and get my box of Christmas cards down, fire up the laptop, and we go through the names in the "xmas cards" folder of our labelling software, and print off lavels for those that we want to  send cards to.   People we think about but don't see. The days of sending cards to all and sundry are long gone.

We split the cards into "my family and friends" and "DH family and friends". DH writes and signs his pile, I do mine, and then we swap and add our signatures where a joint card is needed.    I always write a personal message in cards I send. Sometimes its just an addendum to the pre printed greeting.  Sometimes it's a short letter.  Sometimes it's just a "PS" .   I'm sending the card because I want to send a card to that person, because I'm thinking about them, because I want them to know we are thinking about them.   

It amuses me that DH doesn't (usually) add anything personal, and I find myself scribbling a message in the cards he has written. 

I like doing it because it makes me think about the recipient, and why they are on my Christmas Card list.      When I do it, I think I should have made them a card.

We walk down to the Post Office to buy stamps, and I'm always horrified at the cost.   All that money!  What a waste !    No cards next year!

But there isn't anyone I'd take off my list.

When we get back, we hang the cards up.  One of my aunts makes her own cards, and they are just lovely.  She has such an eye for it. 

My BF-S always picks a cat themed card for us.  I like looking at them, and I'll like it again when we take them down in the New Year.

 Every year, about now, I think: Next year, I'll do it early. And I'll make some.

Maybe, now I've written it down, I actually will.

Followers